Three held over Cambodian boat sinking that killed 11

Two owners and teenaged operator may face charges after students perish

published :
15 Oct 2022 at 16:32


A monk walks past ferries docked on the Mekong River in Phnom Penh in August this year. (AFP Photo)

Authorities have detained two owners and the 15-year-old operator of a boat that sank, killing 11 children, Cambodian police said Saturday.

The small boat — carrying students aged between 12 and 15 back from an English class — went down in the Mekong River late Thursday, floundering roughly 50 metres from its destination in southeastern Kandal province.

Local police chief Am Thou told AFP that three individuals had been detained for questioning over the incident.

“They may have to face legal action. We are looking into what charges they may face,” he said.

The police chief added that the three had been sent to Kandal provincial police headquarters, where the next steps would be determined.

Local officials called off the search for survivors on Saturday morning, with the death toll rising to 11.

Two adult boat operators and two students were rescued on Friday.

Prime Minister Hun Sen warned people to be cautious during the heavy flooding that has raised the level of the Mekong River.

Such incidents are common in the country, where people living along the river are often reliant on boats for transport.