Israeli girl, 6, survives box jellyfish sting

published :
10 Oct 2022 at 16:16


The 6-year-old Israeli girl stung by a box jellyfish is rushed to a helicopter for evacuation from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Hospital on Sunday. She was reported to be out of danger on Monday. (Photo: Supapong Chaolan)

SURAT THANI: A young girl from Israel stung by a box jellyfish was resuscitated after her heart stopped beating and then emergency airlifted from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Hospital on the mainland for treatment.

The girl is aged 6 years and 11 months. She was stung by the jellyfish on Sunday and given first aid by local medical staff after her heart stopped.

Koh Phangan Hospital director Dr Worawut Patanaphokrattana called the Narenthorn Emergency Medical Centre at Samui Hospital and the National Institute for Emergency Medicine asking for air evacuation.

An EC275 helicopter from air force Wing 7 in Surat Thani was dispatched to Koh Phangan. The helicopter, with the girl and medical staff led by Dr Worawut on board, took off from in front of Koh Phangan district office at 3.56pm and landed at Surat Thani Hospital at 4.54pm. She was put on a ventilator.

The young girl was reported to be out of danger on Monday and no longer needed the ventilator. 

A box jellyfish. They have a venomous, extremely painful sting that can be lethal. (Photo: Supapong Chaolan)